Monday, January 14, 2008

And in the beginning, there was food...

Hello? Is there anybody out there? It's me, Beth... and I'm starting a blog.

Why, you might ask, did I decide to start yet another blog to swim with the millions of blogs floating out there in the sea we call the Internet? It all began with a realization. A realization that has quite changed my life, in fact. It all began with the realization that I don't want to be a meat eater.

Perhaps this stems from my Buddhist teachings on causing suffering, perhaps it's just because I think cows have the most beautiful eyes, maybe it's because whenever I think about what animals have to go through to get to our table it makes me cry inside. I've always been the kind of person who didn't want to see what was inside the little baggie inside of the turkey, the kind of person who didn't want to think about where my meat actually came from. I've always been happy it was called "Beef" instead of "Cow" and "Pork" instead of "Pig"... I mean, truly, doesn't that just scream that we as humans don't really want to think about the fact that we're actually eating a creature that lived and breathed and had feelings?

When I was young my father would pick on me because I would get squeamish when someone would talk about the cow or the pig or the chicken or whatever. He'd laugh and say "You want to eat the burger but you don't want to think that it's actually a cow that you're eating." And get this, I'd feel stupid for feeling that way.

I'd actually feel STUPID that I had empathy for the cow.

I've blissfully eaten hamburgers and hot dogs and chickens and more for 30 years. I can't say it's easy to stop. I miss hot dogs. I miss kielbasa. I miss pepperoni pizza. But in the end I've had to decide whether I'm willing to sell out so I can taste a sausage. It's just not something I'm willing to do.

Anyhow... if you're reading this chances are I'm preaching to the choir. If you aren't a vegetarian and you're still reading then THANK YOU for continuing to read. I realize that many non-vegetarians feel that vegetarians are all standing up on their high horses looking down upon those that eat a steak now and then and I would like you to know that I truly am not that way.

Sometimes I sort of envy you. Yes, you there, eating that cheeseburger... it looks yummy.

In fact, my husband Sean, eats plenty of meat and enjoys it. I still feed my children meat. Not all of the time, but if I'm making some for Sean the kids often get it, too. I'm not a veggie Nazi. I think people should truly decide for themselves whether it is right for them.

With all that said and me having blathered on for this long, if you've found this blog please look to it as a resource for anyone needing a vegetarian dish for any reason.

My plan for the blog is to post a four course meal every week. We'll have an appetizer, a soup or salad, a main course, and a dessert. The fun part is that I'll be trying most of these recipes for the first time. They're all recipes I've found and am tweaking to suit a vegetarian's needs or just plain tweaking to suit my own needs. I'll post my opinion of the finished product, as well as Sean's meat eating opinion, and finally the kids opinions.

The menu for Week One will be
Blue Cheese Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms
Greek Salad
Black Bean Burgers and Oven Roasted Potatoes
Strawberry Torte

I'll be posting the Strawberry Torte recipe first as it needs to be made first if you're making them all for the same dinner, so check my next post for that!

No comments: