Monday, February 4, 2008

Cornbread - There's Somethin Wrong With That

(Edit: It has been pointed out to me that the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix contains animal products. I truly apologize for including it in the recipe. It was irresponsible of me to not read the label and just assume there would be no animal fat in corn muffin mix. I'm still learning to read EVERY label. Thanks VeggieTofu for pointing that out!)

Today is Chili & Cornbread day.

I love chili. Seriously, I could eat chili every day and be a happy camper. One of the things I miss most about eating meat is eating my mom's chili. So when deciding to give up the beef I knew I'd have to learn how to make a rump kickin vegetarian chili. I think I succeeded with this one.

Vegetarian Chili

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 chopped white onion
3 packets Boca Meatless Ground Burger (= 1 1/2 pounds ground beef)
Photobucket
(this stuff is truly wonderful... I use it in everything)
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (or a can of Manwich)
1 8 oz jar salsa (as hot as you like)
4 or 5 tablespoons Chili seasoning
2 15 oz cans chili beans or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1 can corn, drained (I like Del Monte's southwestern corn for this)
salt & pepper to taste
grated cheddar and sour cream to top

1. Heat oil in large pan and saute onion.
2. Add everything else and reduce heat to low for 1 hour.
3. Serve in bowl, topped with grated cheese & a dollop of sour cream.

YUM.

Everyone ate this up like it was their last meal.

As for the cornbread! I like my cornbread moist and sweet. Don't give me any of that dry stuff that sticks in your throat and crumbles off when you pick it up. I don't want to have to add a vat of butter to it to make it edible. I don't know if you've ever had Boston Market's cornbread but that stuff is just what I love. So after several attempts to make my own like theirs, I finally hit upon the right recipe. Someone had suggested this on a forum years ago and I've been making it this way ever since.

Photobucket

1/2 a box of yellow cake mix and one box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix some other actually vegetarian corn bread mix. Follow package directions on each box for the batter. Half the ingredients needed for the cake mix, of course, since you're only using 1/2 the box. Mix the batters together and bake according to the corn muffin mix directions. (If you can find Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix, which I can't seem to anymore, you can use a full box of that to the full box of Corn Muffin Mix... just makes things easier.... not that it could get MUCH easier. leave it on the shelf because it probably has animal fat in it, too!)

Photobucket

Sean calls is Corn Cake but I don't care. It's delicious and absolutely PERFECT with the chili.

Photobucket

Please comment if you've tried or plan to try any recipes, let me know what you changed and how it tasted! Thanks!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I thought the cornbread with cake mix in it was rather interesting, but The Jiffy mix is not vegetarian. Here is the ingredients list (copied from netgrocer.com):

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Corn Meal, Sugar, Shortening (Contains: One Or More Of Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, LARD (from pigs) OR BEEF FAT; With Freshness Preserved By Tocopherl And BHT Added To Improve Stability), Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), And Salt.

I'm not trying to be nit picky, but I just wasn't sure if you had noticed it or not. I found this out from first hand experience. I had bought a couple of boxes of the cornbread mix shortly before going vegetarian and nearly used them before reading what it contained.

david santos said...

Excellent menu!
I loved this post.
Have a nice day.

Susanne said...

I've posted a recipe that may solve the Jiffy cornbread mix problem:
Jiffy cornbread mix alternative

Best Wishes,
Veggie Tofu